Last week I found myself searching pinterest and the internet for a vegetable beef soup recipe that didn’t call for lots of cans, and a pre-made taco seasoning packet. I’m sure there are some out there, but instead I created my own with real food that we had leftover in the fridge. To my surprise my husband LOVED it, so much that he ate it for breakfast the very next day!
In the ingredient list I will list what I used in fresh ingredients, as well as a can option. It does take extra time to cut up all of the ingredients, but it honestly isn’t that much extra time!
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups beef broth
1 onion (diced)
3 cloves minced garlic
2 cups of salsa
3-4 ripe tomatoes (diced) OR 2 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 fresh jalapeño diced (without seeds) OR 4 oz can green chilis/ jalapeños
1 15 oz can kidney beans OR black beans
1 15 oz package of frozen mixed vegetables OR 1 15oz can corn/veggies
1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 tbsp. onion powder
1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
1/4 tbsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
garnish: shredded cheese, avocado
1. Dice the onion and mince garlic. Place onion, garlic and ground beef in skillet to brown. (season the beef with garlic salt and pepper)
2. While beef is browning dice the tomatoes & jalapeño. Also open beans and vegetables.
3. Place beans, veggies, tomatoes, and jalapeño in your crock pot.
4. Add your browned beef mixture and approximately 2 cups of broth to the crock pot.
5. Slowly add the seasonings one by one, mixing as you add.
6. Stir to combine.
** If you want it to be more of a soup add more broth
** If you don’t like recipes with a kick , tone down the amount of jalapeño you add, and the amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper.
7. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours
** This recipe is gluten free
I always feel so accomplished when I make a crock pot meal!
Some of my other Real Food, Healthy , favorites are :