I love Mac & Cheese, it’s one of my childhood favorites and I wanted to be able to make it from scratch for awhile now. Unfortunately it was really hard to find a recipe that was both gluten free and consisted of real food. Yes, REAL FOOD. Not canned condensed milk, powdered milk or powdered cheese. My trusty friends over at www.100daysofrealfood.com have an amazing wheat mac & cheese recipe that I tried with a few adaptions to make it gluten free. This is their recipe, I’m just telling you about my changes and the few differences.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and keep whisking for about 1 – 2 minutes until the butter/flour mixture starts to darken, but does not burn.
- Turn the heat down to low and quickly whisk in the milk. Turn the heat back up to medium and KEEP whisking until the mixture starts to thicken and all lumps of flour are dissolved.
- Stir in the grated cheese and once it melts mix in the cooked noodles. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- The end result will NOT be like a boxed macaroni and depending on your flour choice may be a little gritty, but it is delicious!!!
I hope you enjoy and don’t forget to find more REAL FOOD recipes at www.100daysofrealfood.com !
Click here for more of my favorite Gluten free recipes.